The Pain in Your Neck Could Be Stress
Do you suffer from chronic neck pain? Did you know that there’s a very real possibility that your neck pain could be caused by stress? Stress is an underlying factor in a wide variety of health issues from migraines to weight gain, high blood pressure, and even neck pain. That’s right – recent studies have shown that neck pain and stress level might be directly related.
How are Neck Pain and Stress Related?
When was the last time you saw a scary movie? Do you remember how you felt during the suspenseful parts? Heart racing, muscles tensed, on the edge of your seat. When you left the theater, you probably felt a huge weight lifted off your shoulders – literally. Well, this is an exaggerated example of what happens to your body in times of stress. Stress can typically cause your muscles to tighten, including your neck muscles. Over time, this tightening of neck muscles can cause chronic neck pain.
Furthermore, studies have also show that stress can directly influence how one feels pain. Additional stress can exacerbate any existing pain, making even the slightest discomfort feel like a HUGE pain in the neck. In turn, this neck pain leads to increased fatigue and irritability, which then leads to even more stress! It’s a vicious cycle of neck pain and stress.
On the other hand, if you can find a way to eliminate one, you can usually get rid of the other. Here are a few ways you can reduce the amount of stress in your life.
How to Reduce Stress
- Get adequate sleep – A good night’s rest is the best thing you can do for your stress level.
- Meditate – Just five minutes of silent meditation a day can do wonders for your mental and physical health. Learn more about meditation.
- Exercise – Research has shown that exercise is not only great for the body, but also for the mind. Exercise releases chemicals that improve your mood and reduce stress.
- Yoga – Why not combine meditation and exercise into one experience?
- Reach Out – If you are experiencing an abnormal amount of stress in your life, simply talking through it with a friend can help. Meet a friend for coffee and catch up.
- Listen to Music – Spend some time listening to great music. Focus on the beat, the melodies, or even belt it at the top of your lungs.
- Laugh – A good belly laugh can immediately improve your mood. Even if it’s a fake laugh at first, just fake it til you make it. Have you heard of Laughter Therapy? It’s where you sit in a room with others and just start laughing for no reason at all. It won’t be too long until that fake laughter will become very real.
- Spend time with Friends and Family – The worst thing you can do for your anxiety is be alone. Spend time doing something that really matters such as being with loved ones.
See a Chiropractor
The Davis Clinic of Chiropractic in The Villages, Florida is committed to providing our patients with nonsurgical, drug-free treatments for the relief of neck and back pain, knee pain, and more. If you suffer from neck pain brought on by stress, an injury, poor posture, or other cause, contact us at (352) 430-2121 today to schedule an appointment so you can get back on the road to recovery.